Interesting writers on representation and identity include Richard Dyer, Angela McRobbie and David Gauntlett.
Task: Summarise these articles and source information on Angela McRobbie
Print off and add to Section A: Question 1b of your exam folder.
Other theorsits concerning Representation are:
- Angela McRobbie – post feminist icon theory
- Laura Mulvey – male gaze/female gaze
- Stuart Hall – dominant, oppositional and negotiated readings of representation (we covered at AS)
- Richard Dyer – stereotypes legitimize inequality
- Levi-Strauss – binary oppositions and subordinate groups (see dyer)
- David Buckingham – representation and fragmented identity
- David Gauntlett – “identity is complicated, everyone’s got one” (pluralism but within a hegemonic framework)
- Baudrillard – hyper realism
- Tajfel and Turner – intergroup discrimination and stereotyping (also useful for youth and collective identity)
- Andy Medhurst – stereotyping is shorthand for identification
- Tessa Perkins – stereotyping has elements of truth
- Judith Butler – queer theory (referenced a lot at A Level so good to look at)